The Anchorage Hilton at one time was a cornerstone in our community. It was a place where workers were treated with dignity and respect. Once upon a time, for 30 years, the Hilton was good to its workers and helped make and keep Anchorage vibrant.
That all changed when Kentucky-based Columbia Sussex bought the hotel and started driving down Alaskan job standards, Anchorage families, and their ability to survive in our great state.
Since 2008, workers at the Anchorage Hilton have been fighting for affordable healthcare, safe workloads, job security, and reasonable wage increases in the face of an out-of-state corporate employer.
Columbia Sussex, owned by William J. Yung III, continues to hurt Alaska’s middle-class families by imposing unsafe workloads on workers at the Anchorage Hilton—especially in housekeeping, a profession with higher injury rates than coal mining. Cuts to healthcare coverage of workers and increasing employee contributions further burdens Alaska workers.
Anchorage Hilton workers, represented by UNITE HERE Local 878, have been attempting to negotiate with Columbia Sussex since July of 2008. The workers have been asking to maintain their working conditions and benefits listed in their long expired contract which guaranteed safe workloads, job security protections, regular wage increases, and affordable family medical insurance.
In May of 2009, Hilton workers overwhelmingly voted to place a boycott on their hotel. Workers are asking potential guests and fellow Alaskans to support their fight by not eating, sleeping, or attending meetings/events at the Hilton Anchorage until the boycott is over.
WHAT YOU CAN DO IF YOUR GROUP IS VIOLATING THE BOYCOTT?
- Do not attend the event. We invite you to sign a boycott pledge (http://www.unitehere878.org/boycott-advisory/support-the-boycotts/)
- Inform Board and Committee members for your group, let them know why you are not attending.
- Let other members/attendees of your event know about the boycott. Share your vow to honor the boycott, Alaska workers and Alaska Job Standards, invite them to as well.
- Encourage your affiliated group to move their scheduled event in honor of the workers’ boycott and to not return to this hotel until the boycott is over.
- Join FairHotel as a partner learn more here.
- Share your pledge to honor the boycott and demand they treat Alaska’s workers with dignity and respect by resolving with them a fair contract. Write and/or call:
Columbia Sussex Corp
740 Centre View Blvd
Crestview Hills, Kentucky 41017
7930 Jones Branch Drive
McLean, Virginia 22102
Companies and organizations that have moved their events since the start of the boycott!
First Alaskans Institute
Korean Air pilots Union
U.S. Commission on Civil Rights
World Affairs Council
Alaska Nurses Association
Alaska Federation of Filipino Americans
Congregation Beth Sholom
National Association of Social Workers-AK Chapter
Victims for Justice